According to the legend, Roma people were the gods’ favourite thanks to the sheer beauty of their women, whose long silky hair and sparkling eyes went unmatched. Today, gleaming palaces reminiscent of Walt Disney fairytales have been built by wealthy Gypsies in various regions of Romania. Women rule these communities, spending their days raising children, watching soap operas and looking pretty while their husbands are away on business.
Sébastien Cuvelier travelled to Romania to meet these rich Roma communities several times since 2011. After numerous discussions, shared meals and photographic portraits offered as a token of his appreciation, he could progressively enter an unexpected and private world.
- Slate, Jan 2016 | web
- Click.ro, Jan 2016 | web
- Der Greif, Apr 2014 | web
- Nuage/Soleil, Apr 2014 | web
- Fluctuat, Apr 2014 | web
- Actuphoto, Jan 2014 | web
- Luxemburger Wort, Sep 2013 | print
- d'Lëtzebuerger Land, Sep 2013 | print 1 | print 2 | web
- Zeitung vum Lëtzebuerger Vollek, Sep 2013 | web
- Interview: 50 degrés nord (BE), Apr 2014 | watch here
- Book review: 50 degrés nord (BE), Apr 2014 | watch here